Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Mark of the Christian (Repost from Facebook)

The Mark of the Christian

Last Sunday, while my pastor was away, I again had the opportunity to teach. I always enjoy speaking to our congregation. However, I am also glad that my assistance is needed only now and again. While public speaking comes naturally (an occupational hazard no doubt) I am very conscious of my own personal failings and felt a bit out of place behind a pulpit. One of the stellar qualities of the Gospel, however, is that the truth is the truth is the truth (we call that a “trueism”). That is, regardless of my shortcoming as an Ambassador, God’s word is still God’s word. The truth of the message is not diluted simply because it is delivered by an imperfect man.

The topic of my message is the title of this blog, “The Mark of the Christian.” To give credit where credit is due, the late great Francis Schaeffer wrote a text by the same name. From that small book I outlined my address. In the event you wish to read the book in it’s entirety (it’ll take less than an hour) you can find it here --http://www.ccel.us/schaeffer.html.

In a nutshell, the scripture foundations are found in John 13:33-35 and John 17:21.

My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come. A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

And Jesus prays, "That all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me."

The idea is this: as the Samaritan loved the wounded man, we as Christians are called upon to love all men as neighbors, loving them as ourselves. We are also to love all true Christian brothers in a way that the world may observe. This means showing love to our brother in the midst of our differences — great or small — loving our brothers when it costs us something, loving them even under times of tremendous emotional tension, loving them in a way the world can see. In short, we are to practice and exhibit the holiness of God and the love of God, for without this we grieve the Holy Spirit.
Schaeffer continues -- In John 13 the point [is] that, if an individual Christian does not show love toward other true Christians, the world has a right to judge that he is not a Christian. [In John 17] Jesus is stating something else which is much more cutting, much more profound: We cannot expect the world to believe that the Father sent the Son, that Jesus' claims are true, and that Christianity is true, unless the world sees some reality of the oneness of true Christians.

Now that is frightening. Should we not feel some emotion at this point?

Food for thought to be sure. Read the book. Let it change your life. In this particular area, all of our lives need continual change in the direction of visible love.

No comments:

Post a Comment