Sunday, March 27, 2011

Green Eggs & Ham (Repost from Facebook)

Something to Think About

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what are my real objectives. You know, what do I really want. If I could do anything what would that be. What is important about what I do; what matters. Perhaps some of this line of thought has been encouraged by my recent reading of Euguene Petterson’s “The Jesus Way.” Regardless, here’s what I’ve come up with -- the only calling, the only real goal, the only objective in life is, essentially, that God be glorified in and through my life. That I bring Glory to God. Now, the means and the methods might change; the geography might change; the surroundings may change; and the cast of characters may change. But the objective is fixed. The song remains the same, so to speak. Glorify God. Whether I am here or there (in a box, with a fox, in the rain, on a train...) I am called to one calling -- Glorify God. It’s there in the scriptures, all over the place; just takes a while for it to sink in and be absorbed. And, yes, I do think there is a lesson in that bit from “Green Eggs and Ham,” by Dr. Seuss. I’ve not put it all together yet, but it might go something like this -- regardless of the circumstances, surroundings, distractions or the rest, I should remember that green eggs and ham (or in this case, the Glory of God) is the point of focus. Not the house, the mouse, the boat or the goat. At the end of the day, perhaps we can proclaim together that we do, in fact, like green eggs and ham! I do like them, Sam I Am.

No comments:

Post a Comment