Sunday, February 16, 2014

Save Me. I Love Your Law.

Save me. I love your law.

Psa. 119:94 I am yours; save me,
for I have sought your precepts.
The 119th psalm, the longest chapter in scripture, is an acrostic poem, the stanzas of which begin with successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet. Moreover, the eight verses of each stanza begin with the same letter of the Hebrew alphabet. It's construction is elaborate and its authorship is annonymous.
The book of Psalms contains 49 such anonymously written songs. Tradition often ascribes authorship of many of these unnamed works to Ezra. While many commentators presume the present psalm is a Davidic Psalm, it is also possible that Ezra was its author. It is easy to see why David's authorship is presumed in that God used him to write one half of the collected songs. Additionally, the content of this psalm finds parallel with David’s life.
Nonetheless, an argument can be made for its possible writing by Ezra.
After the Persians overthrew the Babylonians, Ezra was a priest and a scribe during the time of the Israelites' exile from and return to Jerusalem. He wrote the book of Ezra and possibly contributed to parts of Nehemiah.
In Nehemiah 8 we see Ezra reading from the Law, or Torah, challenging Israel to follow the Lord’s teachings. During the return from exile, it was his responsibility as a priest to reestablish God’s Word as the basis for living.
“Then he read from it in the open square that was in front of the Water Gate from morning until midday, before the men and women and those who could understand; and the ears of all the people were attentive to the Book of the Law” (Nehemiah 8:3, NKJV).
In verse 9 we read:
“And Nehemiah, who was the governor, Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who taught the people said to all the people, “This day is holy to the LORD your God; do not mourn nor weep.” For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the Law” (Nehemiah 8:9, NKJV).
We see in these verses that the word of the Lord has an immediate and visceral impact on the attitudes of those who hear it read. It caused them to openly weep. The tears, most likely, were those of conviction. The result of this repentance is detailed in Nehemiah 9:1-3:
“Now on the twenty-fourth day of this month the children of Israel were assembled with fasting in sackcloth, and with dust on their heads. 2Then those of Israelite lineage separated themselves from all foreigners; and they stood and confessed their sins and the iniquities of their fathers. 3And they stood up in their place and read from the Book of the Law of the LORD their God for one-fourth of the day; and for another fourth they confessed and worshipped the LORD their God” (Nehemiah 9:1-3, NKJV).
So why do I think Ezra wrote Psalm 119?
Psalm 119 is filled with praise to God for the work and the impact His Word occasions in our lives. This spiritual collision is detailed well in Nehemiah. The environment in which Ezra is rooted also parallels that of the Psalmist. Additionally, in the foregoing, we see that it requires a high degree of literacy to write in the style of this particular Psalm. As Ezra was a scribe, he would have been well suited for God to use in this manner. It is certainly possible that he is the anonymous author of the 119th psalm.
Nonetheless, the psalm's authorship is not nearly as important as its content. The question of ascription serves only as an introduction to the heart of the matter: a love for the law of the Lord.
Psa. 119:18 Open my eyes, that I may behold
wondrous things out of your law.
The beauty of this song (or perhaps more appropriately, one of the beauties of this magnificent psalm) is in the author's outpouring of affection for the instruction of the Lord. He employs a number of synonyms in his praise: law, instruction, precepts, rules, testimony, word, statutes, commandments and more! Yet his objective is singular; the word of God is life. In this affirmation of life in the law of the Lord, the psalm explodes with worship.
An internal and an external significance is declared of the Word. Praise is provided for not only its ability to guard our hearts but also to establish our way. The precepts of the Lord, it is shouted, keep us from enemies within and without.
The precepts and the instruction of the Father protect against the way that would seem right to us but rather leads to death. The psalmist sings:
Psa. 119:10 With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
Psa. 119:11 I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
and
Psa. 119:35 Lead me in the path of your commandments,
for I delight in it.
Psa. 119:36 Incline my heart to your testimonies,
and not to selfish gain!
Psa. 119:37 Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways.
The law and the testimonies of the Father protect against those that would come against us. Regarding our cultural and spiritual assailants, the Spirit instructs:
Psa. 119:98 Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies,
for it is ever with me.
Psa. 119:99 I have more understanding than all my teachers,
for your testimonies are my meditation.
Psa. 119:100 I understand more than the aged,
for I keep your precepts.
And
Psa. 119:110 The wicked have laid a snare for me,
but I do not stray from your precepts.
Psa. 119:114 You are my hiding place and my shield;
I hope in your word.
What, then, does our anonymous author conclude? He rejoices that though he himself is insignificant, he loves the Word of the Lord. This heartfelt appreciation keeps him steady in times of oppression. In all matters, the instruction of the Father is a light to our path providing the illumination necessary to see the way clearly through obstacles constructed by our own hands and by those of our adversary.
In one verse, the whole testimony is contained and summarized:
Psa. 119:94 I am yours; save me,
for I have sought your precepts.
We recognize and rejoice (I am yours).
Psa. 119:141 I am small and despised,
yet I do not forget your precepts.
Because the Word is hid in our hearts (Save me).
Psa. 119:121 I have done what is just and right;
do not leave me to my oppressors.
We will never be left in darkness (I have sought your precepts).
Psa. 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.
Selah and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment